Nespresso pods are capsules with various different flavors and intensities of coffee beans in them. The pods are made of plastic and aluminum. After you put the pods in the coffee machine, it forces out coffee from the beans using a strong centrifugal force created due to high RPM.
No, let’s take a look at how to reuse Nespresso pods and enjoy yourself a nice cup of coffee.
What are Nespresso pods?
To properly learn how to reuse a Nespresso pod, first you must have an idea of what a Nespresso pod is in the first place.
A Nespresso pod is a method for coffee brewing that uses an Aluminum or Plastic made capsule containing coffee beans. The pods come in various shapes and sizes. You can choose any size you want based on your need for caffeine.
The main component of the Nespresso pods is the coffee beans. You can choose any flavor from the vast array of beans.
Sizes of Nespresso Pods
As mentioned earlier, Nespresso pods come in various sizes. You must have an idea about them if you want to reuse these pods.
Depending on the flavors, the Nespresso Pods have different sizes. The sizes also denote the intensity of caffeine you will have in your coffee. In general, the smallest one is 40ml, the medium one is 100ml and the largest one is 237ml.
But, they are not all the sizes available to you for reuse. Only 70ml and 210ml Nespresso pods are available for reuse.
Reusing Nespresso Pods
- First, take two used pods of 70ml and 210ml.
- Then, take out all the used coffee beans from both pods.
- Cut the outer rim of the smaller (70ml) pod.
- Put the 70ml pod inside the 210ml pod.
- Put whatever flavor of coffee you want into the capsule. You can also experiment with various coffee additives.
- Take a strong kitchen foil ( Better if it’s made of Aluminium) and carefully wrap it around the outer rim of the bigger capsule.
- Cut the rest of the foil.
- Now, all you have to do is to put the pod inside your coffee machine and sit back and relax.
Precautions when using Nespresso pods
Although reusing a Nespresso Pod seems like a cakewalk, you have to maintain a few precautions for getting the most out of your reused Nespresso Pod. They are
- Make sure you properly wrap the kitchen foil around the bigger capsule. If the wrapping is too loose, the foil will fall off and ruin your coffee machine.
- While wrapping properly is important, make sure not to cover the barcode at the bottom of the outer rim of the larger capsule.
- Make sure you take appropriately sized capsules. If the capsules are too mismatched, then they will not fit properly into each other.
Is it safe to Reuse Nespresso pods?
The biggest question which arises after learning to reuse a Nespresso pod is about the safety of the procedure. I recommend you don’t use a Nespresso pod more than thrice, once when you use it for the first time, and twice while reusing it.
While it is almost completely safe to reuse it more than twice (One pod was used five times), the quality of the coffee will be significantly lower than the previous brew. The capsule will be full of holes from the previous brews which will mess up your coffee machine.
Flavors of Nespresso pods
Now that we know how to reuse Nespresso pods, let us take a look at the different flavors and various kinds of pods available to you, which will help to make up your mind easier.
- Espresso Pods: These are the traditional, high standard ‘short’ coffees which come in six different types of capsules.
- Pure Origine Pods: They are basically Espressos but come from a single place of origin. They come in three different kinds of pods
- Lungo Pods: Traditionally a longer coffee, they are made to use almost two times more water than an Espresso. Known as a ‘tall’ coffee, but not to be confused with an Americano.
- Decaffeinato Pods: Specialist capsules that come in three various kinds of capsules.
Kinds of Nespresso Espresso Pods
The six Espresso pods are:
- Ristretto Capsule
- Arpeggio Capsule
- Roma Capsule
- Livanto Capsule
- Volluto Capsule
- Capriccio Capsule
Kinds of Nespresso Pure Origine Pods
The three Pure Origine Pods are
- Dulsao Do Brasil Capsules
- Rosabaya de Brazil Capsules
- Indriya from India Capsules
Kinds of Nespresso Lungo Pods
The three Lungo Pods are
- Fortissio Lungo Capsules
- Vivalto Lungo Capsules
- Linizio Lungo Capsules
Kinds of Nespresso Decaffeinato Pods
The three decaffeinated Pods are :
- Decaffeinato Capsules
- Decaffeinato Lungo Capsules
- Decaffeinato Intenso Capsules
Enjoy the art of reusing Nespresso pods!
Now that you have learned all about how to reuse a Nespresso Pod, you can now easily add your own kind of coffee using the old Nespresso Pods. Now, sit back, relax and enjoy your kind of coffee. Have a good day.
Related Article :